Thursday, February 9, 2012

Midweek Update

Got up at 4:30 this morning so I could pick up the rental car and get my coworkers at 7 for an all-day drive to Connecticut and back.  Just got home at 7:30 pm.  Everything hurts, but especially my knees and my head, from sitting all day in the driver's seat and having that blasted headrest pushing my neck forward.

Calories were good today, 3 fried eggs before I left and seared scallop salad for lunch, and beef stew over barley for dinner with a teeny piece of maple fudge for dessert.  I had brought some homemade beef jerky with me, but have NO idea where I put it.  Somewhere in the rental car.  Found an apple in my bag and ate it after I dropped off the rental car, on the way home.

I've been testing my blood sugar every now and then.  Earlier this week, mid afternoon, it was 74.  Before I started eating all healthy and stuff, it was regularly 120 or higher an hour after lunch, and in the 90s first thing in the morning.  So I thought that 74 was good.  I'm beginning to think that maybe 74 is a little low for me because I sometimes get a little light-headed after things like standing up, or some physical exertion.  Not a lot lightheaded, a little. Not every time.

Yesterday we learned about getting vital signs in EMT class, and blood sugar is one of them.  They say that 60-80 is low.  We also learned how to take blood pressure and pulse.  So cool!  I'm going to have to start wearing a watch!

Took 2 days off from exercise and it looks like it may have helped get off last weekend's weight gain.  Once again, I'm reminded that changing the routine is good for the body.  Too bad I'm really good at consistency and less good at being unpredictable!

1 comment:

  1. 74 is a little low but not seriously. I was diabetic for 14 years before my gastric bypass surgery. Any lower than that though and you would want to treat it with some protein and carbs.

    It sounds like your EMT class is going well. I wish you the best with that. Hang in there. :)

    ReplyDelete