Thursday, February 23, 2012

Thursday

208.8 this morning, up another bit from yesterday.  I've been going up since Saturday when I was 206.8.  It's TOM.  My calories and exercise have both been on track, so I've got no worries about my weight loss going off track.  Just the general angsty worries about my life being off track.  NBD. 

(TOM-fueled, sleep deprived rant ahead)<rant>I get that it's difficult to be my age living in a new place and make new friends, and tough to find someone to be in a relationship with, but geez!  I've been here 3 years!  I get that this sort of stuff doesn't happen on my schedule, it happens when it happens.  I get that the best thing I can do is work on being happy with myself and my life as. it. is. right. now and everything else will take care of itself.  But crap.  I've been alone for so freakin' long!  Just try living alone and having no friends and having a full time job and animals and owning a house full of things that break down.  It's not easy!  Before you give me advice on how to make friends, I'll tell you that I know how and I'm doing all the right things.  My therapist says that other clients of hers have told her it's extremely difficult here.  People aren't friendly to outsiders.  We've discussed the things I'm doing (the same things that worked great in Washington DC and in South Carolina). I'm confident that what I'm doing will work - hopefully before I die, alone and with no friends! But how much freakin' longer???  PS-I also get that I'm working too hard at it.  Working on that too!</rant>

Woke up at 4:24 this morning to go to a call for chest pain, and then stayed up.  Got another call at 6:48 for a fire at the grocery store.  I'm at work now, but tired!  I'm continuing to fit in better with the guys at the firehouse. It helps that I'm one of the 6 or 7 that go to most of the calls, and I'm right in there doing the hard work with everyone else.  It's one of the aspects of my life that make me feel really good.  Unfortunately, none of these guys are going to be friends

Every. single. online dating person that I was communicating with has evaporated.  The firefighter I wrote about a few weeks ago wrote, "let's meet for coffee," and I said, "sure, it'll have to be Tuesday or over the weekend." (week before last) And I never heard from him again.  WTF.  Last Wednesday another person wrote," want to get a drink Saturday," and I wrote, "great idea."  And that was it.  Never heard from him either.  Double WTF.  I'm emailling with one person right now who seems promising, and having the occasional phone conversation with someone else who I'm kindof losing interest in.  Call me odd, but the whole purpose of online dating is to meet people.  Not spend a month talking on the phone. My workplace is overflowing with male engineers and operators.  Besides me, the firehouse is 100% male.  My EMT class is about 75% guys.  You can't tell me to go where the guys are.  I'm already there.  What I need to change is that I need to stop working so hard at it and start being myself, enjoying the things I enjoy and doing the things I like to do.  I get it.  Working on it.

Feeling the need to have something positive going on, I traipsed to the bathroom to take this picture.  I was so focused on hiding my thinning hair up top that I forgot to smile.  These pants are Liz Claiborne size 14s from my favorite store, the Salvation Army. See?  That's something good!  My first size 14s in 10 years.

My plan is to do C25K-ish today, an 8-minute run and then (2) 5-minute runs.  Not sure I'll make it since I'm tired, not in the mood and my knees don't feel great.  But I'll get out there and give it a shot.

Then the girls are supposed to get together for happy hour.  I was thinking that these are the peeps that would turn into friends, but someone posted pics on FB from a dinner party they had that I wasn't invited to.  Maybe it was before I started hanging out with them or something. Whatever. I obviously still have work to do.

5 comments:

  1. yuck yuck yuck. online dating here is a joke. It's basically boys (no men. none.) trying to find a girl who will buy their crap long enough for them to get laid. I get that feeling you're having. I wish that I were in a larger area where online dating worked.

    Just try to enjoy happy hour... and all the fire fighters. ;) What do you do at the fire station? Are you a fire fighter too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I AM a firefighter!!! When I lived in the country, I joined my small, country department to meet people. Also to challenge myself - which totally worked. Going through firefighter training at 270 pounds was the most challenging thing I've ever done in my life, but I did it! My old country dept had 3 girls, but the new suburban one has only one. Me. The whole thing is *completely* worth it though. I feel good every time I go on a call. Plus - the trouble I had hauling stuff into and out of the fire truck was a major reason that I finally got off my ass to lose this weight.

      BTW - I read a comment of yours on maybe Jillian's blog (not sure which blog) about juicing this weekend. If you, or others are interested, I'm up for it!! I could use the oomph of committing to others to do some serious juicing.

      Delete
    2. That is so awesome! I'm working a firefighting class (I listen to lectures and make sure whomever is talking is on camera). It's a bunch of guys aiming for their certification. You must have some excellent stories.

      I'm up for juicing. I'll start Friday afternoon. I'm ill-equipped. Gotta buy some groceries.

      Delete
  2. You are looking great, maybe it's good that you are on your own as you work through this... no distrations??? I don't know... looking for the positive I guess:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU LOOK GREAT!! Holy Saved Slacks, those look good on you. And man, bodies are so different. I wear 14's NOW, 20+ pounds less than you...no way I could have worn designer 14s at 208 lbs. Looking really good there. And I found that when I was in my speedier losing phase, hair thinned up top. A lot of dieters experience that. I found that as my weight loss slowed, it stabilized and filled in. Now, with the thyroid stuff, it began to thin some again, but that will normalize as my endocrine system gets to a better place. So, eat your protein, and be patient. It will come back... :D

    (I heard good things on the curly hair forum about Ultra Nourishair available at GNC. I tried it and had an allergic reaction, cause I'm THAT sensitive, and i get zits from Biotin, but many gals and some guys had good regrowth of thinned hair. Worth researching.)

    Nitey! And may a lovely-hearted prince come your way....

    ReplyDelete