Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Doing Good - But Not as Good as I'd Hoped

The exercise trumped the chinese food and 1 pound disappeared overnight - 240.6!

So I was feeling all svelte and sharp and gave myself a treat at lunch (no, not food, silly!).  A shopping trip to the Salvation Army!  On Wednesdays everything is on sale except this week's stuff.  So, like 75% of the store is half price.  Yeah, I was feeling good, 'cause it's in a nice neighborhood and they carry nice stuff.

And then I tried on a pair of size 18 Eddie Bauer jeans for $3.  Nope.  They didn't fit.  And then a pair of size 22 cargo pants that fit great.

And whooosh, I came back to earth.

I am losing weight, yes.  But I'm not thin yet!  At my current losing rate, it will be March before I hit 200 pounds and won't be obese any more.  If I slow down to 8 pounds a month, it will be April.  Patience child, patience.  This time is useful because it is practice for eating like a thin person eats.  This isn't a phase to be gotten through as quickly as possible.

I was congratulating myself for being able to eat just a small amount of "real" food without losing it and inhaling everything on the plate.  Being able to maintain the "no foods are forbidden" approach without ruining my losses. But that's an illusion too.  "Real" (processed) food makes me hungry!  Every time I eat processed food, I want more within an hour or two.  Yesterday it was so painful that I had to eat something to make my stomach stop growling.  Makes me think that Michael Pollan, David Kessler and others are onto something when they say that food is engineered to make us ... want to buy more food.

No comments:

Post a Comment