The more I read blogs of folks who make a living off of nutrition and health stuff, the more I learn. Recently I learned the term "refeeding," which basically means eating a bunch after not eating so much. For example, I eat 1200 calories per day for 6 days a week and then let myself eat whatever I want on the 7th day. That would be refeeding. I don't do that. I eat 1200 calories per day every day. Or at least, I try, and mostly succeed.
So I've been eating pretty well this week and had saved up calories for a little splurge yesterday. Some girls from work are starting a regular happy hour thing and I'm tickled pink to be invited - hell yeah I'm going to go! Then I had a pizza dinner date with TaxMan afterward. So I put 400 calories for 2 beers into MFP and 660 calories for 2 pieces of pizza.
Except when I was at the pizza place, I had 3 pieces of pizza instead of 2. Hm. Yup, it was a slip and I feel a little bad about it. My ideal world has lots of socializing in it, and I'll need to be able to control my impulses a little better if I want to be successful. In my pizza lust, I forgot one of the things I've been holding onto - the first bite tastes the best. I want to savor it. (But the last bite tasted pretty good, too!)
The scale only went up a little this morning. Sigh. Gotta keep repeating, "I'm in this for the long haul. This is what the rest of my life looks like, etc, etc, etc." And then remember the taste of that pizza, cause it was good, and I'm not going to have it again for quite a while!
Pizza is good, but not GREAT like losing 5 more pounds..... live and learn. You will get it. I have never heard of 'refeeding'; that's an interesting way to see it. I think setting up 'cheat days' is a wicked cycle. Healthy every day feels wicked some days, but it's really the best thing to do for ourselves. Ahhh.... progress, not perfection. Be well!
ReplyDeleteI haven't eaten pizza since January. Did steal the cheese off it twice this year, cause I don't do bread/gluten...but I do eat cheese, tomato sauce.
ReplyDeleteI mean something slightly different with refeeding. I have it in metabolic context. I don't refeed with junk. I add whey protein and flax meal. I still have my usual protein/veggies/fruit meals, sometimes a Greek yogurt snack. I might add more protein to the meals. I upped my calories at first to 200, 2100, but now I'm aiming for 1500 to 1600, and then to slowly increment.
A "cheat day" is more like the "diet 6 days, eat what I want 7th day". That wouldn't work for me, as I'm a recovering binge eater. If I let myself OUT of control, it would get mighty ugly. No can do. :(
I love pizza. Pizza is my trigger food. But I get the taste of it with mozza string cheese with some Rao's marinara, nuke that, eat it gooey. Pizza taste for about 100 cals. :D
With every bite of pizza is an amazing tasate. I love pizza and two slice is hard. I did manage to eat just two a few weeks ago when mama took me out for dinner but it was hard.
ReplyDeleteI have read quite a few people doing the 6 days good, 1 day bad and most are successful but like you I think I'd be worried once I started how would I quit.
Keep up the great work Jordan. Take care and have a blessed weekend.