The golf tournament was fun! I'm so thrilled to finally be invited to something, and it was really nice to be around coworkers, people that I like and who I've known for a few years. I was comfortable, even though I noticed that I was the only girl at one point. I got some perspective on how not normal my problems with the firehouse are, and that gave me some peace.
We played golf from noon to 5:30-ish and had a beer at the clubhouse. Then went to a local watering hole and had wings and more beer. I partook liberally of both, and the scale this morning shows it; up 2 pounds to 248.4. MyFitnessPal says that 5 hours of golf with a cart was 1900 calories burned (really? That seems awful high!). If MFP is correct, the beer and wings were within the exercise calories.
I was so happy to be socializing, that I ended up skipping Meditation class. I felt bad about that, but made the choice to maximize time with coworkers, hoping that it might evolve into more socializing in the future, and hopefully a friendship or two.
I feel great that I made it through 5 hours of golf (out of the cart, walk across the fairway, hit, walk, get into the cart, out of the cart, repeat 100+ times) and I made it without dying or having any plantar fasciitis pain today. I can't imagine doing that carrying around the 20-ish pounds I had just a few months ago. Progress!
Then this morning we had an EMS call for someone that had fallen. It was an old man who lived alone and had no relatives in the area. He'd fallen yesterday (yesterday!) and had been on the floor for a whole day trying to get to the phone to call 911. Calls like this make me feel like I'm looking in a mirror of myself 20 years from now. It's what I imagine my life will look like if I don't make connections. Me= thoroughly scared. On the positive side - I got a chance to chat briefly to the 3 other guys on the call about the "problem" dude, and they agree that he's a liability to the department. That conversation helped me remember that outside of 1 or 2 (or 3) problem people, I do like most of the guys in the department which changed the trajectory of my day for the better. And that's where I am now. Better.
No comments:
Post a Comment