Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Book Exercise - Studying the Moment of Hunger Relief

From my study book: Eating The Moment, by Pavel Somov, PhD.

How much food does it take to relieve hunger?

Next time you feel hungry try taking a few sips of water.  Notice whether it relieved your hunger.  Establish the smallest amount of food necessary to make your hunger go away.  Note whether there's a relationship between the size of your hunger and the amount of food needed to quell it.  You may be surprised that even when you're very hungry, a little food may make the feeling subside.  Hunger acts as an alarm more than an indicator of how much food you should eat.

Note:  I do this most mornings.  I get hungry, but drink a tall cup of tea with milk and the hunger goeas away.  The next timeI get hungry, usually around 9-10 am is when I eat breakfast.

4 comments:

  1. This is something I have been told to do since my surgery. I am to try to be aware of my full signal. Sometimes I miss it and overstuff myself. It is very subtle but unmistakable. If only I would heed it every time instead of ignoring it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because I had been a chronic binge eater, and probably stretched my stomach capacity to maximum, I had to begin dieting seriously by drinking 3 to 4 glasses of water BEFORE any food to start getting full with normal amounts of eats. Now, I can drink 1 to 2 glasses before meals and eat normally. One day, maybe I can just EAT normally. hahah.


    But yes, I did used to confuse tiredness with hunger, thirst with hunger, depression made me hungry, stress made me hungry. I had to slowly learn what was real appetite and what was somethign else.

    Until we learn, we find strategies to help. Me, it was and is fluids to just take away thirst and then begin stretching my stomach.... it's a process.

    I do believe we have to learn, like , is it the Okinawans, to eat until JUST before full, or 80% full. To not get to the "oh, man, I'm stuffed". To eat just enought to have nutrition and satiety of hunger...but not alot. That's not easy at all for those of us so weirdly removed from cues...who binge..and who don't feel like we've really eaten to quell hunger until we're nearly bursting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jordan, I got the CD's today and have already listened to most of #1. Thank you, thank you again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trying the fluids right now...I want to eat so I came to the blogs and I'm drinking....good idea.

    ReplyDelete