Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Woe, Woe, Conflict and Woe

I'm being overdramatic.  Things aren't that bad.  Some days it seems like conflict pops up everywhere at once.  Like there's a little conflict virus that blows on the breeze, making bad things happen all over. Like at the beginning of Mary Poppins when something in the air makes everyone mad at each other.

At fire drill last night, the new chief read a list of all the things that were going to change, and it was like all the work I did last year (to try and earn respect) never happened.  All the new officers are older guys that never even came to a single call last year, so they never saw me work on any of the 75 calls I went on.  Example: I was taught how to fill the air tanks and did it many times, but since it was never written down, that means I'm not certified and I can't touch them any more.  I'm peeved that I'll have to start all over.

Drill is supposed to go from 7 to 9, but at 9, they told us to wash the ladder truck.  Then at 9:15 they told us to take the truck out so the floor could be cleaned underneath.  I got annoyed and asked for permission to leave (it IS a volunteer organization after all).  I was in the kitchen complaining to someone about how that's not respectful of MY time - and the chief walked in and heard me.  Oops.  Exactly the opposite impression than what I wanted to give.

I'm going to have to make a special effort to apologize to the chief and tell him that I support him and despite what I said, I'm really a team player.  Ugh.  Starting all over from a hole in the ground is harder than just starting over.  The dude I was crushing on isn't showing up any more.  It's not as fun without him around.

Other conflict-y things that appeared in the last day:
- I sent Saturday dude a nice email on Sunday - and he hasn't answered it yet.  I guess I misread some important stuff.
- Another guy I was emailing with also stopped.  Haven't heard from him since Friday.
- I looked on Facebook and it looks like a friend of mine isn't married any more, which makes me sad.
- The union at my job took a strike vote and may strike this week

Some days it just feels like everything is bad.

I bought a grocery store salad for lunch that had breaded chicken on it - and it didn't even taste good.  I'm sad that I wasted the calories on something that didn't taste outstanding.

There's one positive thing:  I joined the girls for circuit training at lunch and it rocked.  There were 10 stations set up around the room and we do each station for 60 seconds and move to the next.  We went around 3 times.  My core is already feeling it, and it was not even 2 hours ago.

Here's an example exercise:  Plank moving from hands to elbows, up and down for 60 seconds.  yay!  Ouch.

5 comments:

  1. aww I hope things get better for you. Keep your head up and smile!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you are having a rough time of it lately. I can totally relate. Not having a good day here either. I hope both of us have better luck in the days and weeks to come. Things have to get better from here. Hang in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. I know that feeling of things you did that seem to have "never happened." It was hard for me to learn to NOT go the extra mile, but I finally did. But yes, you should apologize to the chief. He will always remember that.

    Conflict virus. I like that term, and it certainly is contagious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no, awkward! I hate when things like that happen. Jo is right, you should apologize. The fact that you're willing to put yourself out there will cancel out any negativity that he feels towards you over your comments. Also, to look at the bright side, he could have taken your comments constructively, and realized that maybe he shouldn't be keeping you all night since it's volunteer. Sorry to hear about the guys from this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...bad weeks happening to many it seems. The year starting off with a bang of challenges to one's stress levels!

    I hate to waste calories, too. I am still in the learning to nip it in the bud and just THROW IT OUT and have something worthy, but some days I cave and eat half or more of the "well, this is a waste of my limited calories" food. Annoys me when I don't stop FASTER and get something BETTER, ya know?

    Okay, on we go...over those challenges and through the woods...to a better, calmer meadow sort of place. :D

    ReplyDelete