Monday, January 30, 2012

Random Stuff

So I get to see the 50 pounds lost (!!!) thingy from MFP, but since I started with MFP after I started losing weight, I've really lost 63 pounds.  Not complaining at all. I'm happy either way.  I can actually imagine being at or near my goal weight now.  (First goal is onederland.  Next goal is 185.  Ultimate goal is 169, or normal weight. I started at 276.)  The end feels closer than the beginning now.

MFP calories burned is really screwed up.  I just finished C25K week 3, which is 9 minutes of jogging.  I added 4 minutes to that, just to get over 10 minutes of running at 5 mph and walked for about 22 minutes.  MFP says that I burned 295 calories with the walking/jogging that I did.  Compare this to yesterday when I did 30 minutes on the elliptical and didn't work very hard because it was my first workout in a week.  MFP said I burned over 400 calories.  That makes no sense.  Today was MUCH harder than yesterday.  I'm pretty sure I burned more cals today - or really - fewer cals yesterday. Boo.

I read something last week where the person (sorry, I don't remember who) wrote how much easier it is to jog for longer times if you SLOW DOWN.  So I went 5 mph instead of 5.5 - and they're right.  It was easier to do.  It helped that there was a big fan blowing on me, I had fast hiphop music in my ears and American Pickers on TV to distract me.  Last week when I went at lunch hour and the gym was full, I had to leave the fan off and had to watch sports news on TV.  That workout lasted forever!

It's lighter in the evenings which makes a *huge* difference in my mood.  Plus, it's been ridiculously warm and sunny this winter, making me very happy.  Or at least happi-er.  I'm usually in the doldrums in the winter.

2 comments:

  1. A lot of the exercise calorie math on MFP is off, unfortunately - it's hard to be accurate. A 200 lb. fit person running for 30 minutes will burn a different number of calories than a novice runner at the same weight/time. I found that it was often very low for elliptical and slightly higher for running and walking. The best thing to do is wear a heart rate monitor that keeps track of calories and input your own data.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The elliptical would burn more calories I have been told and have noticed on me. This is because it works all kinds of body parts, But mfp does mess things up I took a walk with the stroller and it said some outrageous amount of calories burned and 20 mins of jogging up the stairs. I dont worry about the calories anymore as long as I feel the work out and go for longer than 30 mins. Congrats on seeing 50 lbs and for losing 63. I can not wait to see my first 50 I was so close before and messed it up. Im 10 lbs away again :) Have a great week and another great weigh in.

    ReplyDelete