This hasn't been a week filled with progress.
I was really happy when I weighed myself on New Year's Day and found out that I'd LOST weight over the holidays. But then my weight went up for the next 2 days and now I'm at 222.8. I ate well (below 1400 cals)and exercised, so the gains shouldn't really concern me. I think that after 35 pounds of loss that happened REALLY easily, I'm going to struggle for a while to notch significant losses. Since this is a rest-of-my-life plan, not a diet plan, I can't get upset or ignore what my body is telling me. I'm never going to go back to the way I used to eat. Just hunker down and focus on living. Not dieting. Eating the right stuff, exercising, and not having it be the primary focus of my life. Practice for maintenance. The weight will come off - eventually.
A few random thoughts:
Random thought #1: I'm beginning to think that maybe I really don't like pushups. I'm avoiding them like I used to avoid all exercise. I think about it. I think about how pushups will take 30 seconds to do. And then think ... I'll do it later. In front of the TV I'll do crunches, situps, free weight exercises, and ball exercises ... but I don't want to do pushups or planks.
I can't decide whether that's a problem or not. One one hand, I'm doing 30 minutes of exercise most days like I said I would and I'm ramping up the amount/intensity - which makes me think it's OK if I don't like pushups. I can work those muscles another way. On the other hand, I wrote that I wanted to be able to do 10 boy pushups by Jan 21. Silly, silly goal. Part of why I don't like them I'll bet, is that I'm a complete failure at boy pushups. I still can't do even ONE.
Here's my plan. Stop beating myself up over it. But DON'T stop working on them. I get around to trying every other day or so and I'll keep at it. I'll get better at boy pushups. Just not as fast as I was hoping.
Random thought #2: I'm going back to light cream in my tea. I switched to half and half a month ago and was thrilled that it's half the calories of light cream. But it feels/tastes more watery and I'm using more of it. Even with more half and half, it's still not satisfying. So I went to the grocery store at lunch and bought a set of measuring spoons. I'm gonna measure every portion and enjoy the heck out of the light cream. Then I'll work on using less of it. Less of the good stuff is better than more of something unsatisfying. I feel the same way about cottage cheese and am going back to full fat cottage cheese. It's SO much more satisfying for the same calorie amount.
Peace, all! I tried to be more concise than I usually am, but see that this post is long again. Que sera sera.

Do girly push-ups on your knees. Same strengthening effects in a form more suited for the female physique.
ReplyDeleteNeed another reason? Push-ups supposedly tighten the pectoral muscles just a bit, which will raise the boobs in turn. Just do them!
I actually can't do even girly pushups. I lost a lot of upper body strength when I was heavier and couldn't do anything. Now I just can't seem to make myself exercise. You are doing good to be moving at all. Do what you like to do and it will be an enjoyable experience.
ReplyDeleteWhen I was young and thin, I couldn't do push-ups or pull-ups. When I was normal-weight and doing aerobics and weights, I couldn't do a push-up or a pull-up. After 3.5 years with a personal trainer, I can't do a boy push-up. Forget pull-up. I can do modified push-ups (which I couldn't do at the start). I suck at this beyond suck.
ReplyDeleteBut I still plan to work on it this year. I will eventually do a boy push-up before I die. It's decided. I'll think about pull-ups some other time. hahahaha
Okay, on we go. No giving up.
Please, no more talk about push-ups. All of you are making my arms hurt!
ReplyDeleteSeriously, try counter pushups or wall pushups. I did a few one day while I was talking on the phone and my arms and back could tell it the next day.
Okay, maybe I'll try a few.